Sago and Vermicelli Payasam is a delicious Indian dessert made with vermicelli strands, sago and milk during festive occasions and important functions. It is usually served as sweet accompaniment for lunch or dinner.
Sago and Vermicelli Kheer is offered as prasadam for God during Pujas and festivals.
Lets go thru the procedure of preparing the delicious Sago and Vermicelli Payasam/Kheer:
Sago/Sabudana 3/4 cup
Vermicelli 3/4 cup
Water 6 cups
Milk 4 cups
Sugar 1 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts 12
Ghee 1 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Sago Vermicell Payasam/Kheer:
1. Wash sago thoroughly in running water for 3 -4 times until the starch is removed.
2. Soak the sago for 1 hour and drain the water.
3. In a pan/vessel add sago and 3 cups of water and cook for 20 minutes on medium flame stirring in between until they become transparent and soft.
4. Meanwhile, boil the milk and keep it aside. Heat ghee in a pan, add cashew nuts and raisins and fry till it pops up. Remove the fried cashew nuts and raisins into a plate.
5. Add vermicelli to ghee and fry till the vermicelli turns golden. Add 3 cups of water and cook till the vermicelli is done. Add cooked sago, 4 cups of boiled milk and sugar and cook for 3 – 4 minutes on medium flame. Keep stirring. Put off the flame.
6. Add cardamom powder, fried cashew nuts and fried raisins.
Serve hot or cold this delicious Sago Vermicelli Payasam/Kheer.
⦁ U can increase or decrease the sweet levels by adding or reducing the sugar.
⦁ If you want a cold thick Sago Vermicelli Puddings than refrigetor the payasam for 6 -7 hours.
⦁ If you want the payasam/kheer to be more watery you can add more water or milk to the payasam and boil it.