Olan is a traditional Kerala Sadhya Recipe. Olan is prepared during Onam, Vishu and other important functions.
Olan is a simple and easy to prepare dish with less ingredients. Olan is prepared with Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) and Ash gourd (kumbalanga) and green chilies and 1st (thick) Coconut milk. It is less spicy but it tastes different as it has a good flavor of coconut milk in it. Let’s go through the process of preparing Olan.
Black eyed beans (Vanpayar) 1 cup
Ash gourd (Kumbalanga) 1 ½ cup
Green chilies 10 (spilt into 2 lengthwise)
Salt to taste
Thick coconut milk 1 cup (extracted from ½ coconut piece)
Coconut oil 1 tbsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Procedure for preparing Olan:
- Pressures cook Vanpayar with enough water and salt. Do not overcook the vanpayar it has to retain its shape.
- Peel, wash and cut the ash gourd into 1”pieces.
- In a kadhai put the ash gourd pieces, slit green chilies, salt and enough water and cook till the pieces become tender and soft.
- Add the cooked payar to cooked ash gourd pieces and stir.
- Add to it 1st (thick) coconut milk mix well and cook till the curry boils on medium flame. Put off the flame.
- Transfer the curry into serving dish and garnish with coconut oil and curry leaves.
Serve Olan with steaming rice and other Kerala Sadhya recipes.
- Do not overcook the payar and white pumpkin.
- For thick coconut milk, grate ½ coconut piece and add ¼ cup water and grind it and then squeeze the mixture in a strainer. U will get 1 cup of thick coconut milk.