Kootu curry is a traditional recipe of Kerala which is usually prepared during Kerala Sadhya for important occasions like Onam, Vishu and marriage etc.
Kootu curry is prepared using cooked channa and mixed vegetables with coconut milk, which is healthy and also tasty side dish. Let’s go through the process of making this wonderful Kootu curry.
Black Channa 1 cup
Yam (Chena) 1cup
Raw plantain (Pacha Kaya) 1
Ash Gourd (Kumbalanga) 1cup
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Coconut grated 1cup
Jeera (cumin seed) ½ tsp
Black pepper 4-5
Coconut oil 4tbsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Dry red chili 4 (split into 2)
Urad dal ½ tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Coconut grated ¾ cup
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Kootu Curry:
- Soak channa overnight and pressure cook the channa and keep it aside.
- Peel and wash the vegetables and cut into small pieces.
- Cook the vegetables with enough water, salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- When they are cooked, add the cooked channa and stir, cook it for 1 minute.
- Grind grated coconut, jeera and black pepper.
- Add the ground paste to the channa mix and cook for 3 min stirring slowly and continuously, so that the curry does not get burnt down. Then put off the flame.
- Transfer the curry into the serving dish.
- Heat coconut oil in a khadai, add mustard seed, when it splutters add curry leaves, spilt dry red chilies and urad dal fry for 1 min.
- Then add grated coconut and stir fry till it turns its color into brownish.
- Add this seasoning to the top of the kootu curry.
- Before serving mix well the kootu curry and then serve it with steaming rice as a side dish.
- Use coconut oil for preparing this recipe as it has a super taste and flavour
- Mix well the kootu curry before serving as it absorbs the flavour of the coconut seasoning.