In India, fish curry is prepared in different styles according to different regions. Today I am posting Telangana Chepala Pulusu which is a tangy and spicy fish curry from Telangana state.
Two important ingredients that we use in Telangana Style Chepala Pulusu is cumin seeds (jeelakarra) and methi seeds (menthulu).
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Telangana Chepala Pulusu:
Fish ½ kg
Red chilli powder 3 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 3 tsp
Coriander seeds (dhaniya) 3 tsp
Methi seeds (menthulu) 1 tsp
Jeera (jeelakarra) 1 tsp
Garlic 2 cloves
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Telangana Style Chepala Pulusu:
- Wash and clean the fish pieces with salt and water.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, jeera and methi seeds for 2 – 3 minutes or till it changes its color to brownish.
- Grind roasted coriander seeds, methi seeds and jeera into coarse powder then add 2 cloves of garlic to it and grind once again.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind juice.
- Grind the onions to a fine paste.
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds when it splutters, add ground onions paste, curry leaves and fry for 2 – 3 minutes on medium flame till the raw smell disappears. Then add ginger-garlic paste, salt and turmeric powder and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add tamarind juice and boil. Now add fish pieces, red chilli powder and ground masala powder and allow it to cook on high flame for 4 -5 minutes. Put off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Tangy and spicy Telangana Chepala Pulusu is ready.
- Do not over roast the masala ingredients. It will change the taste of fish curry.
- U can increase or decrease the consistency of fish curry according to your preference.
- U can increase or decrease the spice levels.