Thiruvathira Puzhukku is a traditional Kerala recipe prepared during Thiruvathira which is celebrated in Dhanu Masam of Malayalam calendar. Women will fast during that day and skip rice and eat only wheat and root tubers. Thiruvathira Puzhukku is prepared with different root tubers, red cow peas and coconut.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Thiruvathira Puzhukku:
Kachil / yam 150 gm
Chena / elephant yam 50 gm
Koorka / Chinese potato 50 gm
Chempu / colossia 50 gm
Raw banana 1
Van payar / red cowpeas 1 /2 cup
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut grated 1 cup
Cumin seeds 1 /4 tsp
Pepper 6 -7
Mustard ½ tsp
Dry red chilli 2
Curry leaves 4 springs
Garlic (optional) 5
Coconut oil 3 tsp
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds and pepper into a paste.
- Clean, wash and cut the vegetables into cubes.
- Soak van payar in water and then cook it with water till it is done.
- Cook all the vegetables in vessel by adding required water, salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Add cooked van payar to the vegetables and stir well. Then add the ground paste and cook on medium flame for 2 – 3 minutes by stirring continuously. Put off the flame.
- In a pan heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds when it splutters add broken dry red chilli, curry leaves and garlic and fry till garlic changes its color to light brown. Put off the flame. Add this seasoning to the puzhukku.
Thiruvathira Puzhukku is ready.
- U can avoid garlic for thiruvathira puzhukku.
Do refer for more Thiruvathira recipes: