Koova Payasam is a traditional Kerala Payasam prepared at the time of Thiruvathira in the Malayalam month of Dhanu. Women will fast during that day and skip rice and eat only wheat and root tubers (i.e. Thiruvathia Puzhukku, thiruvathira koova payasam or broken wheat upma).
Arrowroot is a nutritious diet. Arrowroot has cooling effect on body. It helps in the bowel movements. It is good for babies and pregnant women.
Let`s go thru the procedure of preparing Koova Payasam:
Koova Podi / Arrowroot powder 2 tsp
Water 2 cups
Jaggery (grated) ½ cup
Coconut pieces ½ cup
Ripe banana 1
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Ghee 3 tsp
- In a heavy bottom vessel add koova podi/arrowroot powder and water and mix well. Put it on flame and keep stirring.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well. Keep stirring continuously so that it does not get burnt at the bottom.
- Now add the chopped banana pieces and 1 tsp ghee stir well and allow it to boil.
- Meanwhile in another pan heat ghee and add the chopped coconut pieces and fry them till golden brown in color.
- Once the payasam is boiled reduce the flame to low and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add cardamom powder and keep stirring till the payasam thickens or it attains a sticky consistency. Put off the flame.
Koova Payasam can be served hot or cold.
Do refer for more payasam recipes: