Tomato Kichadi or Thakkali Kichadi is one of the recipes of Kerala Sadhya. Tomato Kichadi is the tomatoes cooked in coconut gravy and crud.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Tomato Kichadi:
Ripe tomatoes 1 cup
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Coconut grated 1 cup
Green chillies 2
Curd 1 cup
Jeera/cumin seeds ½ tsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Dry red chilli 2
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Tomato Kichadi:
- Chop tomatoes into 4 pieces each.
- In a vessel add the chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and water and bring to boil. Lower the flame.
- Grind coconut grated, green chillies, jeera and curd to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes and put off the flame.
- For seasoning heat coconut oil in a pan add mustard seeds when it splutters add dry red chilli and curry leaves. Add it to the tomato kichadi.
Tasty and tangy tomato kichidi is ready to be served with plain rice, sambar, dal curry or any vegetable curry as side dish.