Valli Payar Mezhukkupuratti/Long Beans Stir Fry is a traditional dish of Kerala in India. This Bean is also known as Chinese long beans or yard long beans in English and Valli Payar or Achinga Payar in Malayam. It is one of the favourite dishes among all the age groups. It is one of the tastiest and easiest Kerala based recipe.
Long Beans contains a good amount of Vitamin C. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A maintains mucus membrane integrity, enhances skin complexions and improve night vision. This food is very low in Saturated Fats, Cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of iron and fiber.
Velli payar (long beans) 500 gms
Onion (chopped) 1
Dry red chilies (crushed) 6
Turmeric power ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds ¼ tsp
Coconut oil 4 tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Valli Payar mezhukkuprati/Long Beans Stir Fry:
- Wash, clean and trim the ends of Valli Payar/Long Beans and cut into 1 inch long pieces.
- For mature beans, silt them open and use only seeds.
- In a pan/chatti add Valli Payar/Long Beans pieces and seeds, turmeric powder, salt and enough water; boil the Valli Payar pieces and seeds. Reduce flame to low and cook till the Valli Payar pieces and seeds are done or soft.
- Heat oil in a pan/chatty and add mustard seeds and jeera/cumin seeds to it.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onion and curry leaves and fry still the onions turn pinkish.
- Add crushed dry red chilies and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked Valli Payar/Long Beans pieces and seeds and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
Valli Payar Mezhukkupurati/Long Beans Stir Fry is ready. It can be served with plain rice.
- Dry red chilies can be increased or decreased according to your choice.
- Using coconut oil gives authentic taste and it is also healthy.