Ari – Kapalandi Pottukadala Unda is a traditional sweet recipe of Kerala. It is a very nutritious unda or ladoo as it is prepared with the combination of roasted rice, roasted groundnut/peanut, roasted Bengal gram, jaggery and coconut.
Ari – Kapalandi Pottukadala Unda is a great energy booster as it provides us lots of energy and it also tackles anaemia. As par-boiled rice, roasted Bengal gram and coconut are high in dietary fibre and jaggery has an ability to purify blood and also boost resistance against infections. Peanut are good source of vitamin E, protein and manganese.
Kids love this unda for its flavour and taste. It can be packed for their snack box to school.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Ari-Kapalandi Pottukadal Unda:
Par-boiled rice 1 cup
Ground nuts/Peanuts 1 cup
Putunal dal /roasted Bengal gram ½ cup
Jaggery 3 cubes
Coconut (grated) 1 cup
Dry ginger ½ “piece
Jeera ½ tsp
Procedure to preparing Ari – Kapalandi Pottukadala Unda:
- In a pan dry roast par-boiled rice for 15 min on medium flame by stirring continuously till it turns crispy. Put off the flame.
- Allow it to cool after 5 minutes grind the rice to a coarse powder.
- In another pan dry roast groundnuts for 10 to15 min on medium flame stirring continuously till the groundnuts are done. Put off the flame and with the help of your palms remove the skin of the roasted groundnuts. Grind the groundnuts, dry ginger and jeera to a fine powder.
- In the same pan dry roast coconut for 1-2 minutes on low flame stirring continuously.
- Grate the jaggery.
- In a bowl take the ground roasted rice power, groundnut powder, roasted Bengal gram, grated jaggery, grated coconut, dry ginger and jeera and mix well so that there are no lumps. Make small balls/undas out of the mixture.
Delicious Ari-Kapalandi Pottukadala Unda is ready. Cool and store in an air-tight container.