Chakka Paradhaman or Jackfruit Payasam is one of the main traditional recipes of Kerala.
It is prepared with jackfruit pulp, coconut milk and jaggery. It is very easy, simple and less time consuming to prepare this paradhaman.
Chakka pardhaman is prepared during Onam sadhya, Vishu sadhya and other important occasions. A Kerala sadhya is incomplete without a Paradhaman. Paradhaman is one of the main desserts served during Kerala sadhya.
In my previous post – I have posted about how to prepare delicious Chakka Varattiyathu. Today I am posting how to prepare Chakka Paradhaman using
Chakka Varattiyathu 3 cups
Rice powder ¼ cup
Jaggery ¾ cup
Water 2 cup
Coconut pieces ½ cup
Ghee 5 tsp
Coconut grated 1 (whole)
(For extracting coconut milk)
1 st coconut milk 1 cup
2nd coconut milk 2 cups
3rd coconut milk 2 cups
For extracting coconut milk:
- 1st coconut milk/ thick milk – grind the coconut grated with ¾ cup water and squeeze the mixture with hand and strain it U will get the 1st coconut milk/ thick milk – 1 cup
- 2nd coconut milk/ thin milk – grind again the coconut mixture with 2cups water and squeeze the mixture with hand U will get the 2nd coconut milk/thin milk – 2 cups
- 3 rd coconut milk/thin milk – grind again the coconut mixture with 2 cups water and squeeze the mixture with hand U will get the 3rd coconut milk/thin milk – 2cups
Procedure for preparing Chakka Paradhaman:
- Grind together chakka varattiyathu and 1 ½ cup of 3rd thin coconut milk and put into a vessel.
- Grind together rice powder and ½ cup of 3rd thin coconut milk and put into the above vessel and mix well.
- Make jaggery syrup, with water and jaggery when it boils to one string consistency put of the flame. Add the jaggery syrup into the vessel and mix well.
- Put the vessel on stove and keep stirring. Put the flame on high and add 3tsp ghee in between and keep stirring continuously for 10 minutes or till the paradhaman boils and put off the flame immediately.
- Powder the cardamoms and add the cardamom powder in the Chakka Paradhaman.
- In a khadai/pan add 2 tsp of ghee and fry the coconut pieces till light brown.
- Add the fried coconut pieces to Chakka Paradhaman.
Tasty and delicious Chakka Paradhaman is ready to be served. You can serve Chakka Paradhaman hot or cold. It can be made easily at any season of the year.
With Chakka Varattiyathu handy, U can easily make this delicious Chakka Paradhaman.
- Adjust the quantity of jaggery according to Ur taste of sweetness.
- Using of rice powder in the paradhaman makes the Chakka Paradhaman thick in its consistency.
- The consistency of Chakka Paradhaman thickens as it cools down.