The season of Jackfruit (Chakka), Mango (manga) and Drumsticks (Muringakka) are around i.e. the pre- monsoon season. I am posting this Kerala recipe with main ingredients Jackfruit seeds (Chakkakuru), Pacha Manga (Raw mango) and Drumsticks (muringakka) which is one of the favorite curries relished by all the age groups.
This recipe has rich nutritional value as it has the nutritional value of all the three main ingredients Jackfruit seeds, raw mango and Drumsticks. Jackfruit seeds are high source of Carbohydrates, dietary fibre and Vitamin A, C and B. Mango improves digestion and reduces risk of different types of gastrointestinal disorders. Drumstick is a great blood purifier.
Chakkakuru Muringakka Manga Curry recipe is as follows:
Jackfruits seeds (Chakkakuru) 12
Drumstick (Muringakka) 2 medium-sized
Raw mango (Pacha manga) 1 medium-sized
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Red chili powder 1.5 tsp
Coconut (grated) 1.5 cup
Jeera (cumin) ½ tsp
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Dry red chili 2 – 3
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Chakkakuru Muringakka Manga Curry:
- Scrape the skin of Jackfruit seeds.
- Wash them and cook with turmeric powder and enough water.
- When seeds are half-cooked add the chopped pieces of drumsticks.
- After 3 – 4 minutes when the drumsticks are half-cooked add the chopped pieces of raw mango. Add red chili powder and salt and cook still jackfruit seeds and drumstick piece is done.
- Grind together grated coconut and jeera. Add this ground paste to the curry and bring it to boil.
- Put off the flame immediately.
- In a pan heat coconut oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add dry red chili and curry leaves and put of the flame. Add this seasoning to the curry.
Tasty Chakkakuru Muringakka Manga Curry is ready. Serve it with plain rice or rice porridge (kanji).