Dahi Vada is a popular and tangy snack of North India. Dahi vada is also known as “ Thayir Vada“ in South India. This is made and sold in Chaat bandi’s all across India, near the shopping complexes, streets.
1 cup Urad dal(split white lentil) soak in water
3 ½ cup Fresh curd (yogurt)
Salt ( to taste).
½ tsp Sugar.
Vegetable oil – for frying.
Sweet tamarind paste
Ingredients to be added while serving –
2 tsp Red chili powder
Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
1 bunch Fresh Coriander leaves ( finely chopped )
Procedure of Dahi vada / Thayiru vada:
- Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour. Drain and grind urad dhal to a thick paste using a little water. Do not use too much water.
- Add salt, mix well and keep aside.
- In a small bowl take half cup curd. Beat well. Add 1 cup water, a little salt, cumin powder, sugar. Beat well again and keep aside. This will be used to soak vadas.
- Beat the remaining curd well, add salt, sugar, a little cumin powder to the curd and mix well. Keep aside. This will be added to vada while serving.
- Heat oil. Keep a flat pan filled with warm water ready. Once oil is hot, keep heat medium. Drop spoonfuls of batter in the hot oil. Fry till golden brown in color.
- Remove and drain well. Add the vada to the warm water. This will remove excess oil from the vada.
- After a minute, Remove each vada from water. Press between your palms lightly to remove water. Add to the watery beaten curd mixture. Let soak for a minute.
- Remove and put in a flat shallow dish where it will remain till serving time.
- You may put this dish in fridge if you plan to serve later. Follow the steps for each batch of vada.
Note: While pressing vada to remove water make sure it does not break.
- While serving dahi vadas, place 2 soaked vadas in a flat serving plate. Add a spoon ful of thick beaten curd. Add sweet tamarind
Note: Remaining beaten curd mix can be kept aside for extra helpings.