Garelu is one of the main prasadam which is prepared during festivals like Ugadi, Sankranti, Ganesh Chaturthi, Dugra Puja, Diwali etc in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana State.
It is also prepared as snacks for breakfast, tea time or even for lunch and dinner. It is also one of the favorite tiffin box recipes.
Garelu are prepared with whole black gram, black pepper, chopped onions, green chilies etc., to give a spicy taste.
Black gram /whole urad dal 1 cup
Pepper corns 1 tsp (crushed)
Green chilies 3(finely chopped)
Coconut pieces 1 tbsp (chopped)
Onion 1 (chopped)
Curry leaves 2 strands (chopped)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
PROCEDURE TO MAKE GARELU – MEDU VADA:-
- Soak dal in water to 6 – 7 hrs .Drain the water.
- Grind the dal to a smooth paste by adding just 1-2 tbsp of water.
- In a bowl put the ground smooth paste of dal add salt to it, crushed pepper corns, chopped green chilies, chopped coconut pieces, onions chopped, curry leaves chopped and mix well.
- Take a plastic sheet spread 1tbs of oil on it, with moist hands take a ball of batter and flatten slightly on the plastic sheet. Make a hole in the center.
- Heat oil for deep frying in kadhai. When the oil is heated enough, reduce the flame to low and put slowly the Garelu into the kadhai and fry on both the sides till golden brown.
- Take out the vada with ladle and place them on paper napkin which will soak extra oil.
- Crispy and crunchy vada is ready to be served hot with coconut chutney, hot sambar or tomato ketchup.
- Note : –
- Fry vada on medium flame so that the vada is also cooked from inside.
- Don’t stuff the pan with more vada as enough space should be there for the vada to move for even frying.
- The spice level can be increased or decreased according to your preference.