Godhuma Talikala Payasam is a traditional naivedyam recipe made especially during Vinayaka Chavithi in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh states. It is offered as prasadam for Lord Vinayaka.
It is a kind of homemade noodles prepared with wheat flour, that is cooked in jaggery syrup with grated coconut and some dry fruits.
Wheat flour ½ cup
Jaggery 1 cup
Water 2 cups
Coconut grated ½ cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Cashew nuts 5
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Salt 1/8 tsp
Procedure for preparing Godhuma Talikala Payasam:
- In a bowl add wheat flour, salt, 1 tsp ghee and enough water to prepare a soft dough. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Take small balls of the dough and roll each ball into thin long noodles with the help of your palms.
- Place the rolled out noodles on a plate.
- Sprinkle some wheat flour or rice flour on the noodles so that they do not stick to each other.
- In a pan or vessel add the add 2 cups of water and jaggery and bring it to a boil. Put off the flame.
- Strain the jaggery syrup to remove the impurities.
- In a pan add the remaining ghee and fry cashew nuts and raisins. Place the fried cashew nuts and raisins on to a plate.
- In another pan add the jaggery syrup, grated coconut, ghee (the ghee that was used for frying cashew nuts and raisins) and the noodles and cook on high flame. Once it boils lower the flame and cook covered for 15 – 20 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- By now the jaggery syrup also get thick. Add cardamom powder. Put off the flame.
- Add the fried cashew nuts and raisins.
Godhuma Talikala Payasam is ready.