Hariyali Murgh Masala or Indian Green Chicken Curry is all about chicken with lots of green herbs and spices. ‘Hariyali’ in Hindi means greenery thus Hariyali Murgh Masala or Green Chicken Curry. This curry has lots of nutrients rich herbs like coriander, mint and barik methi leaves. In this curry chicken is cooked with freshly ground green masala.
It is a quick and easy chicken curry. It is also gentle for stomach. ‘Hariyali Murgh Masala’ has a great aroma of spices, coriander, mint and barik methi leaves.
Do refer for more Chicken Recipes:
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Hariyali Murgh Masala:
Chicken 500 g
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Onion (chopped) 1
Salt to taste
Oil 3 tsp
Ghee 2 tsp
Onion (chopped) 1
Tomatoes (chopped) 2
Green chilies (slit) 15
Barik methi leaves 2 bunches
Coriander leaves 1 cup
Mint leaves ¾ cup
Curry leaves 2 strands
Capsicum (chopped) 1
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Ginger (chopped) 1” inch
Garlic (chopped) 15 cloves
Oil 4 tsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Hariyali Murgh Masala or Green Chicken Curry:
- Cut the roots from the bands attached to each bunch of methi leaves.
- Wash the greens thoroughly as it tends to have lots of sandy soil. Rinse in several changes of water. Keep it aside.
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
- In a pan add chicken, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and salt. Cover with a lid and cook on high flame. The chicken oozes out its own water. Once it starts to boil. Reduce the flame from low to medium and cover with a lid by stirring it occasionally. Cook till the chicken is tender. It almost takes about 15 – 20 minutes. Put off the flame.
- Take another pan, heat oil add chopped onions, slit green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, curry leaves, finely chopped ginger, chopped garlic, black pepper powder and saute for 1 – 2 minutes. Then add tomatoes and capsicum and saute for 1 – 2 minutes. Now add barik methi leaves and saute for 1 – 2 minutes and put off the flame. When cool, grind it into fine paste.
- In another pan add 3 tsp oil and 2 tsp ghee and fry chopped onions till it turns light brown. Add the ground green masala mixture and fry for 2 – 3 minutes on medium flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken and fry for another 3 – 4 minutes. Cook on low to medium flame.
- Add garam masala powder and stir well. Put off the flame.
- Transfer the green chicken curry into a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Delicious Hariyali Murgh Masala is ready. Serve it with roti, naan or plain rice.