Gongura Chicken is a special Andhra style chicken curry with the combination of both gongura and chicken. In this recipe I used red stem sorrel leaves but you can also use green steam sorrel which is less tangy or sour compared to the red sorrel leaves.
This recipe is prepared by separately cooking gongura and blending into a paste and adding it into the chicken and cooking it together which brings a delicious and tangy taste to the recipe.
Gongura chicken is a delicious and healthy recipe as it has the health benefits of chicken which is high in protein and gongura which has a lot of dietary fiber, no calories, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B, iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
Chicken 1 kg
Gongura (sorrel leaves) 8-9 bunches
Onions 1 cup
Green chilies 4
Ginger-garlic paste 2 tsp
Red chili powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Jeera powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water 1 cup
Oil 4 tsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Gongura Chicken Curry:
- In a pan cook gongura leaves with little water and salt. When it is cooked put off the flame. Allow it to cool.
- Blend the cooked gongura leaves into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add chopped onions and green chilies fry till the onions turn light brownish.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well. Cover with the lid and cook for 10 minutes on low to medium flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Add ground gongura paste and mix well and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Now, add 1 cup of water and stir well and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Yummy and tangy Gongura Chicken is ready. Serve it with bagara rice or steaming rice, roti, naan.
Do check in for more interesting chicken recipes: