Banana plant is a wonderful plant with lots of medicinal properties. Every part of this plant is very useful and banana flower is no exception. Banana flower have many wonderful medicinal properties and we should include it as often as we can in our diet.
Many don’t use banana flower because of the work involved in cleaning the flower but it is so worth the effort. Banana flowers is one of the best home remedy for excessive bleeding in women as it helps increase progesterone in the body. It is also good for weight loss diet as it is full of fibre and nutrient it is very sooothing on the stomach and tastes great. It prevents constipation during pregnancy and improves lactation.
Today I am posting a Healthy Banana Flower Stir Fry in Kerala Style – Vazhakoombu Thoran.
Banana Flower (Vazha koombu) 1
Onion (chopped) 1
Green chilli (chopped) 6
Garlic (chopped) 6 cloves
Dry red chilli 2
Coconut (grated) 1 cup
Curry leaves 2 strands
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cumin 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Pepper powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
Coconut oil 3 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Healthy Banana Flower Stir Fry:
1. Always oil your hands and knife before cleaning and cutting the banana flower to prevent discoloration.
2. Peel the banana flower stalk (each layer will have many tiny flowers). Remove the outer layer, till you find no more tiny flowers. This last white bit inside should be chopped into fine pieces.
3. Put the finely chopped banana flower into salted or turmeric water to avoid discoloration and soak for 20 minutes.
4. Drain and squeeze well to remove the water.
5. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin, when it splutters add urad dal and saute for 1 minute then add onion, green chillies, garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves, salt and turmeric powder and fry till the onions turn transparent.
6. Add the chopped banana flower and mix well and fry on medium flame for 3 – 4 minutes covered. Keep stirring ocassionally.
7. Add pepper powder and stir well.
8. Add grated coconut and saute well and fry on low flame for 2-3 minutes till all water evaporates and the flower is not soggy. Put off the flame.
Healthy Banana Flower Stir Fry is ready. Serve with rice or chappathi.
⦁ Alway oil your hands and knife before cleaning and cutting the banana flower to prevent discoloration and soak the chopped banana flower pieces in turmeric or salt water.
⦁ Adding coconut oil increases the flavour of the recipe.