Kalan is one of the traditional recipes in Kerala Sadhya. It is a simple recipe prepared using thick yogurt, coconut and raw plantain or yam
Raw banana (Nenthrakai) 2
Yam (Chena) 1 cup
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Thick sour curd ½ liter
Coconut grated 1 cup
Green chilies 5
Black pepper 4
Jeera ¼ tsp
Coconut oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Fenugreek seeds (uluva) ¼ tsp
Urad dal ¼ tsp
Dry red chilies 4
Curry leaves 1 strand
Procedure for preparing Kalan:
- Peel and wash yam/chena and cut the banana into small pieces.
- Peel the raw banana peel and cut into to small pieces and put the banana pieces in salt water to remove its starch (stickiness) and wash the pieces.
- In a vessel add the yam and banana pieces, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and enough water and allow boiling on high flame. Reduce the flame to low and cook the vegetables till the water almost dries up.
- When the curry is thickened add the sour curd and stir well and boil it.
- Grind together grated coconut, green chilies, jeera and black pepper to a paste.
- Add the ground paste to the curry and stir well and boil it. Put off the flame.
- In a kadai heat coconut oil add mustard seeds, when it splutters add fenugreek seeds, urad dal and fry till it turns its color to light brown, then add dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry for ½ minute.
- Pour the seasoning on Kalan.
Kerala Kalan recipe is ready. Serve with rice and curries like Sambar, Rasam, Avail and pickle.