Mathanga Valli Payar Thoran is a side dish for rice. Mathanga or pumpkin is rich in fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Valli Payar or Achinga Payar in Malayalam also known as long beans or Chinese long beans is a good source of Vitamin A. It is low in saturated fats. It is also good source of iron and fibers
Today I am posting Mathanga Valli Payar Thoran which is combination of both vegetables that are highly nutritious and tasty.
Let’s go thru the process for preparing Mathanga Valli Payar Thoran
Pumpkin (Mathanga) 2 cups
Long Beans (Valli Payar) 2 cups
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut grated ½ cup
Green chilies 4
Jeera (Cumin seeds) ½ tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Coconut oil 3 tsp
Procedure for preparing Mathanga Valli Payar Thoran:
- Wash, clean and trim the ends of valli payar/long beans and cut into 1” inch long pieces.
- For mature beans, silt them open and use only seeds.
- In a pan/chatti add valli payar/long beans and seeds, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt and enough water and boil. Reduce the flame to low and cook till the valli payar pieces and seeds are done or soft. Put off the flame.
- Peel, discard the seeds, wash, clean and chop pumpkin/mathanga into small cubes pieces.
- In another pan add the pumpkin/mathanga pieces, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt and enough water and boil. Reduce the flame to low and cook till the pumpkin pieces are cooked. Put off the flame.
- Grind together coconut grated, jeera and green chillies into coarse paste without adding water.
- Add the cooked pumpkin pieces to the cooked long beans pieces and mix well. Add the ground coarse paste and stir well and cook on low flame for 2 – 3 minutes. Put off the flame.
- In a pan heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds, when splutter add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Put this seasoning over the mathanga valli payar thoran.
Tasty Mathanga Valli Payar Thoran is ready to be served with rice.