All parts of banana plant are very useful. But very few knows about the banana flower or banana blossom. A banana heart is tear shaped and has a purple color that usually grows at the end of the banana cluster on banana plant.
Banana flowers are used as a vegetable for preparing curries and fired foods. Banana flowers are useful in overcoming diabetes and anemia, curing the infections, improves lactation, reduces menstrual problems and weight loss.
“Mocha” in Bengali means banana flower or banana blossoms. ‘Mocha Ghonto’ is a traditional Bengali recipe where banana flower and potatoes are cooked along with aromatic spices. It is a side dish recipe for steaming hot rice.
Banana flower 1
Coconut (finely chopped) ½ cup
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Tomatoes (finely chopped) 2
Sugar ½ tsp
Onion (finely chopped) 1
Garlic cloves (chopped) 4 – 5
Dry red chilli 2
Oil 2 tbsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
Curry leaves 1
Ghee 1 tsp
Coconut grated ½ cup
Procedure for preparing Mochar Ghonto – Traditional West Bengal Banana Flower Recipe:
- Peel the outer skin from the banana flower. Chop the flower, wash and immerse in water to which salt and lime is added for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and season it with cumin and mustard seeds, when it splutters add onions, garlic, dry red chilli and curry leaves and fry till it becomes golden color.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and fry well.
- Now add coconut pieces and fry till oil separates.
- Add tomato pieces and cook on medium flame for 1 – 2 minutes stirring occasionally or till it turns soft.
- Add drained and squeezed banana flower and stir well. Allow to cook for 2 – 3 minutes on medium flame cover with the lid and occasionally keep stirring.
- Add the boiled potatoes pieces and stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add sugar, salt and garam masala powder and fry for 1 minute.
- While serving, pour 1 tbsp ghee and decorate with coconut grating and serve along with steaming rice. Mochar Ghonto recipe is ready.