Parippu Vada is a traditional snack of Kerala which is served as morning or evening snack with a hot cup of tea. It is one of the famous snacks served in tea-stalls in Kerala.
It is enjoyed by all for its yummy, crunchy and spicy taste especially during the rainy and winter seasons. Let’s go into preparing this yummy Parippu Vada.
Channa dal 2 ½ cups
Dry red chillies 10
Green chillies 6
Onions 2 big
Ginger 1 inch piece
Curry leaves 5-6 strands
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Procedure for preparing Parippu Vada:
- Wash the channa dal and soak the dal for 5-6 hours and drain the water completely and grind it to coarse paste with dry red chillies without using water.
- Chop finely onions, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Crush these ingredients with your hands.
- In a bowl mix ground dal-dry red chillies coarse paste with onions, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and salt.
- Make small balls and shape it round by pressing it with your palm.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/pan for deep frying. When oil is hot enough for deep frying reduce the flame to medium and put the vadas into the hot oil carefully.
- Deep fry the vadas by turning on both sides till golden brown color.
- Serve Parippu Vada with a hot cup of tea.
- Grind dal and dry red chillies to coarse paste and not to a smooth fine paste.
- Parippu Vada can also be served with tomato ketchup.
- Spice level can be adjusted according to u preference.