Snake Gourd or Potlakaya as it is known in Telugu is a vine plant or climber vegetable or gourd that has a lot of health benefits as it includes a large amount of water as well as fibre. It is abundant in proteins, vitamins A, B and C. Because of the high fibre content in Snake Gourd it can help with bowel disorder and can eliminate constipation. It also strengthens the immune system, detoxify the body and improve the digestive process of the body and also to treat diabetes.
Today I am posting Potlakaya Masala Fry in Telangana Style. It is a simple and tasty recipe using Potlakaya and spices.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Potlakaya Masala Fry:
Potlakaya /Snake Gourd 1 big-sized
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Red chilli powder ¾ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder ¼ tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Cumin ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Potlakaya Masala Fry – Telangana Style
- Scrape and deseed potlakaya (snake gourd).
- Chop Potlakaya (snake gourd) into small pieces.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped onions and stir fry till it turns pinkish then add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes till the raw smell disappears on medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add coriander powder and fry for 1 minute. Add red chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5minutes on medium flame still it turns soft.
- Add potlakaya pieces and stir well and close the lid and cook till it’s done, by stirring occasionally. As potlakaya is high in water content it gets cooked soon.
Potlakaya Masala Fry – Telangana Style is ready. Serve with plain rice, chapattis or bread.
- U can decrease the spice levels according to your preference.