Rava upma is a traditional South Indian recipe, served as breakfast or evening snack with a hot cup of tea or coconut chutney, tomato chutney, pickle or sugar.
There are various methods of preparing rava upma. We can use vegetables or dry fruits for preparing rava upma.
Today, I am preparing rava upma using dry fruits and turmeric powder for its yellowish colour and also as it has anti- inflammation and anti- oxidant property.
This recipe is a healthy recipe as dry fruits (cashew nuts and raisins) are used in the preparation of rava upma. Cashew nuts are rich in vitamins and minerals and it is an anti-oxidant which are required for the regular functioning of the body. Raisins are rich in vitamins B, iron and potassium. Raisins are also good source of carbohydrates for energy. Thus it is a healthy breakfast or evening snack for all the age groups.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Rava Upma:
Rava/suji/semolina 1 cup
Green chilli 1
Ginger 1 inch piece finely chopped
Water 2 cups
Ghee 5 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Cashew nuts 10
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Dry red chilli 1
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Healthy Dry Fruits Rava Upma:
- Chop the onions, green chili and tomato.
- Finely chop the ginger.
- In a vessel boil 2 cups of water with salt and keep it aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of ghee and roast the rava still it give out nice aroma or till it turns light brownish. Put off the flame and transfer the content into a plate.
- In a pan add 3 tsp of ghee and heat it, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add chopped onions, green chilli, curry leaves and dry red chilli and fry on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins and fry on low flame for 3-4 minutes or till the onions turn pinkish.
- Add turmeric powder and sauté then add roasted rava and stir fry for 1 minute, add tomato pieces and stir well, add boiled salt water and stir well. Be careful while adding water as it splutters all around, stir well and close the lid and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
Healthy Dry Fruits Rava Upma is ready. Serve with coconut chutney, tomato chutney, pickle or hot cup of tea. Children love to have rava upma with sugar. It is a healthy recipe for children and all age groups.
- Do not over roast the rava as it changes the taste and flavour of rava upma.
- Be careful while adding boiled water to the pan as it splutters all around. Close the lid and cook.