Ragi or Finger millet is one of the most nutritious and healthy cereals. Ragi is a remarkable source of protein, making it perfect for vegeterian diets. Ragi contains important amino acids which are not present in other starchy meals. It has the highest amount of calcium and potassium.
Ragi is a great source of iron making benefical for people with low hemoglobin levels. Ragi has high content of polyphenols and dietary fiber thus it exhibits anti-diabetic, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Ragi is easy to digest.
One amazing benefit of ragi is that it helps in relasing the body naturally. It is found to be benefical in conditions of anixiety, depression, migraine and insomnia.
Today I am posting Sweet Ragi Diamond cuts or “Black Cake” as my children call this recipe for its black appearance. Black Cake recipe is a nutritious and healthy recipe as we mix all ingredients and steam it. It is a sweet recipe which is liked by children.
Ragi powder 1 cup
Jaggery (grated) 1 cup
Ripe banana (chopped) 1
Coconut (grated) 3/4 cup
Ghee 2 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
Procedure for preparing Sweet Ragi Diamond Cuts (Black Cake):
1. Grease a steaming tin with 1 tsp ghee.
2. Grate the jaggery and coconut.
3. In a blender jar add the ragi powder, grated jaggery, chopped banana pieces, grated coconut, remaining ghee and water and grind into fine paste.
4. Add the ground paste into the greased tin and steam in the pressure cooker by closing the lid and without the whistle on high flame.
5. Wait till full steam comes out reduce the flame to low and cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Put off the flame.
6. When cool take out the greased tin from the pressure cooker and allow it to cool.
7. When cool cut the steamed Ragi Cake (Black cake) into diamonds shapes.
A healthy, nutritious and tasty steamed Ragi Cake (Black cake) is ready.
⦁ You can increase or decrease the sweet level according to you preference i.e, according to the sweetness of banana and jaggery.