Tangy chicken curry is the most popular chicken curry which is less spicy and has a tangy taste. In this chicken curry I used more onions and tomatoes than the usual chicken curry as it gives a tangy taste. Kids love this tangy chicken curry for it`s less spicy and tangy taste.
Chicken 1 .5 kg
Green chilies 15
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 5.5 tsp
Turmeric powder ¾ tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Mint leaves 1 cup or 1 bunch
Water 1.5 cup
Salt 2.5 tsp or as per your taste
Oil 7 tsp
Ginger 2 pieces (each 3 inches)
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Tangy Chicken Curry:
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions, green chilies and salt and saute for 5 minutes on medium flame or till the onions turn light brown. The chicken curry tastes good when the onions are sauted till light brown.
- Grind together garlic and ginger. Add this paste to the onion mixture and stir fry for 5 minutes on low flame till nice aroma comes, keep stirring so that mixture does not get burnt down.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add coriander powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add red chili powder and saute for 1 minute. Be careful that the mixture does not get burnt keep stirring.
- Then add mint leaves and stir fry for 2 minutes, you get nice aroma. Then add tomato pieces and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add water and mix well, cook on high flame till the mixture bubbles, reduce the flame to medium and cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well till the chicken pieces are properly coated with the tomato mixture and cook covered on high flame for 5 minutes till it starts bubbling keep stirring.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook till chicken is done. Keep stirring occasionally. It takes about 40 minutes to cook.
- Add garam masala powder and stir well. Put off the flame.
- Garnish the Tangy Chicken Curry with coriander leaves.
Tangy Chicken Curry is ready to be served. It goes well with rotis, parathas, plain rice and biryanis.
- Cooking chicken curry requires a bit of patience.
- Onions should be sauted till it turns light brownish as it is one of the main secret of this chicken curry.
- You can increase the spice level according to your taste buds.