Upperi (Nendrakaaya Upperi) is a famous snack from Kerala which is famous all over the world. It is relished by all the age groups. Upperi is liked by children and it is one of the favorite snack box items.
Kerala sadhya is incomplete without upperi; it is one of the important snacks of the Kerala sadhya. Procedure for preparing this famous Kerala Banana Chips is as follows:
Nendrakaaya (Raw kerala plantain) 3
Coconut oil for deep frying
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Water 2 tsp
Method for preparing Upperi:
- Peel the banana and cut the bananas into two halves.
- Soak the bananas in turmeric water for 10 – 15 minutes to remove its stickiness and wash it and pat them dry on kitchen paper.
- Use the vegetable chopper and cut the banana into thin round slices.
- Heat coconut oil in the kadai or wok, till the oil gives a smoking effect.
- Add the banana slices in batches and deep fry till you hear a nice crackling sound when you move your strainer. That is the indication they are ready.
- In a small bowl dissolve salt and water.
- Before taking out the fried banana chips from hot oil, sprinkle salt water to the hot oil.
- Be careful while sprinkling the salt water to the hot oil as it splashes out hot oil and water.
- Drain out excess oil carry the fried banana chips out of the hot oil. Place the banana chips on the kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- When cool transfer the fried banana chips to an air-tight container.
Crispy, crunchy Homemade Banana Chips are ready.
- Deep frying the banana chips in coconut oil enhances the taste of the chips.
- When sprinkling salt water to the hot oil be very careful as the hot oil and water splashes out.