Erissery is a traditional dish of Kerala Sadhya. Erissery is a vegetarian dish prepared using different veggies with or without pulses using ground coconut paste with a unique aroma of seasoning.
Today I am posting Chakka Erissery, prepared using semi-ripe jackfruit. This erissery is sweet as we are using semi-ripe jackfruit. Let’s go thru the procedure of preparing this hot and sweet Chakka Erissery.
Semi-ripe jackfruit/chakka 300gm
Water 2 cups
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut grated 1 cup
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Coconut pieces ½ cup
Curry leaves 2 strands
Dry red chilli 2
Coconut oil 4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Procedure for preparing Chakka Erissery:
- Peel the jackfruit. Roughly chop the hard core, pulp fruit and the seeds into small pieces and wash them thoroughly 3-4 times.
- In a pressure cooker add the pieces, 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and salt and mix well. Cook till the first whistle then reduce the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes and put off the flame.
- Grind together coconut grated and jeera into fine smooth paste.
- Open the pressure cooker lid with the help of a big spatula slightly mash the cooked pieces then add the ground paste and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously so that it does not get burnt down. Put off the flame.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai add mustard seeds, when it splutters add garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves and coconut pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the seasoning to the curry.
Chakka Erissery is ready. Serve with rice.