Kumbilappam is a traditional Kerala tea time snack made from ripe chakka/jackfruit, jaggery, coconut, rice flour, dry ginger powder and cardamom powder which is mixed together to prepare the dough.
It is wrapped in banana leaf/bay leaf (vazhanayila) which gives a special aromatic flavour to the appam in kumbil(cone) shape and steamed. Delicious Kumbilappam is best served hot with a hot cup of tea of coffee.
Chakka Kumbilappam is a delicious and a healthy snack with the nutrition and health benefits of ripe jackfruit. Jackfruit is rich in energy, dietary fiber, minerals, protein and vitamins and free from saturated fats or cholesterol.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing delicious Chakka Kumbilappam:
Ripe jackfruit bulps (chopped finely) 1 1/2 cups
Jaggery 1 cup
Roasted rice flour 2 cups
Water 1/2 cup
Coconut (grated) 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Jeera (crushed) 1/2 tsp
Dried ginger powder/ chukku 1/2 tsp
Banana leaf/bay leaf as required
Procedure for preparing Chakka Kumbilappam:
1. Blend the chopped ripe jackfruit bulp and make a smooth paste without adding water and keep aside.
2. In a bowl add jaggery and add 1/2 cup water and melt. Then strain the impurities.
3. Put the jackfruit puree into the jaggery syrup and cook till it thickeness for about 30 minutes on medium to low flame, keep stirring. Put off the flame.
4. Add roasted rice powder little by little, grated coconut,cardamom powder, crushed jeera and dry ginger powder and mix well and make a smooth dough, if necessary add water. It should not bee too thick or too loose. It should be like chappathi dough.
5. Cut the banana leaf into small rectangle shapes and slightly wilt them in open flame, so that it will be easily piable.
6. Make cones with the banana leaves and fill the dough inside. To keep the leaves cone in shape. Pin it up with toothpicks or stem of coconut leaves (eerkkil). Leave the upper edge of the leaf to close the cone.
7. Fill the dough inside according to the size of the leaf.
8. Cover the top of the leaves and press inside.
9. Steam it in a ldli steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes or till its done. To check if its ready. Open one of the kumbilappam and prick a tooth prick into it. If the tooth prick comes out clean Chakka Kumbilappam is ready.
Serve Chakka Kumbilappam with a cup of hot tea or coffe.