Aval Payasam is a quick and easy payasam which can be prepared with milk and sugar or jaggery and coconut milk. In my previous posts I have prepared Atukula/Poha Payasam with milk, sugar and custard powder. Today I am posting Aval Payasam with jaggery and coconut milk in Kerala style.
I have used Red Aval for preparing this payasam. Let’s go thru the procedure of preparing Aval Payasam.
Red Aval/Poha/Flatted Rice ½ cups
Jaggery ¾ cup
1st Coconut milk 1 cup
2nd Coconut milk 1 cup
Ghee 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Dry ginger powder a pinch
Cashew nuts 7- 8
Raisins 7 – 8
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashew nuts and raisins. Keep them aside.
- In the same ghee fry aval till nice smell arises and it turns crispy. It takes about 1 minute. Keep it aside.
- Melt jaggery in ½ cup of water. Strain for any impurities.
- In a deep pan add 1 cup of water and allow it to boil once it starts to boil add the roasted aval and cook till it is soft it takes about 1 -2 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add the jaggery syrup and mix well and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add 2nd coconut milk and keep stirring and allow it to boil.
- Keep stirring and add the 1st coconut milk and just allow it to boil. Immediately put off the flame otherwise it may curdle the payasam.
- Now add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder and mix well.
- Add the fried cashew nuts and raisins.
Delicious Aval Payasam is ready to be served.
- U can increase the amount of jaggery according to your taste levels.
- After adding the 1st coconut milk just allow the payasam to boil and immediately put off the flame otherwise the payasam may curdle.
Do refer for more payasam recipe: