Red Poha Burfi or Red Aval Burfi as the name suggests is prepared by using red poha or red aval (Kerala red rice aval/poha – thick variety) with jaggery, grated coconut and dry fruits. It is quite filling and nutritious burfi. This burfi can be carried during travelling and packing kids snack box. This burfi can be served to kids after they return from school as it is filling as well as gives energy too.
Red Poha Burfi can also be prepared during Krishna Jayanthi as poha or aval is Lord Krishna’s favorite.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Red Poha Burfi/ Red Aval Burfi:
Red Poha /Red Aval/ Beaten rice 1 cup
Jaggery 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Coconut grated 1 cup
Dates (seedless) (chopped) 6 – 8
Ghee 1 tsp
Water 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Red Poha Burfi:
- Grease a plate with ghee and keep it aside.
- Rinse the poha/aval well for 3- 4 times and drain the water completely.
- Melt jaggery with 2 tbsp of water. Put off the flame. Filter it to remove impurities.
- Boil the jaggery syrup until you get a one-string consistency. Keep stirring continuously. Put off the flame.
- Add jaggery syrup to poha. Immediately add cardamom powder, grated coconut, chopped dates, raisins and mix well.
- Pour the hot poha mixture into the greased plate and spread evenly with the help of spatula. Allow the mixture to settle for some time or till it is cool.
- Cut into diamond or square shaped pieces.
Red Poha Burfi is ready to be served.
Do refer my other posts for more burfi recipes:
- You can also use white poha variety. U can use either thick or thin variety.