As Ugadi is round the corner, I would like to share a sweet payasam recipe – i.e. Senaga Pappu Saggubiyyam Payasam or Channa Dal Sago Kheer.
WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY UGADI
Senaga Pappu Payasam is a traditional South Indian sweet dish. It is also prepared as neivedyam and offered to God. It is prepared using Channa dal (senaga pappu) and sago (saggubiyyam), milk, jaggery, cardamom powder and some dry fruits.
Channa dal/ Senaga Pappu 1 cup
Sago/ Saggubiyyam 1 cup
Jaggery powder 450 g
Milk 6 cups
Water 2 cups
Cardamom powder ¾ tsp
Ghee 3 tsp
Cashew nuts 10
Procedure for preparing SENAGA PAPPU SAGGUBIYYAM PAYASAM:
- Wash and soak channa dal in lukewarm water for 1 hour.
- Wash and soak sago in water for 1 hour.
- In a pressure cooker, add channa dal and sago with 5 cups of milk and 2 cups of water and cook for 3 – 4 whistles. Put off the flame. Allow it to cool.
- After 10 – 15 minutes, open the pressure cooker lid and add 1 cup of hot boiled milk and stir well and add jaggery powder and mix well and cook the payasam till the jaggery dissolves. Keep stirring continuously so that the payasam does not get burnt down. Put off the flame. Bring down the payasam from the stove.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, fry cashew nuts and raisins separately.
- Garnish payasam with fried cashew nuts and raisins.
Delicious Senaga Pappu Saggubiyyam Payasam is ready. Serve it hot or cold.
- You can decrease the sweet levels according to your preference.
- By soaking channa dal in lukewarm water, it takes less time to cook fast.
Do refer for more payasam recipes: