Fish is a low – fat and high quality protein. Fish is filled with omega – 3 fatty acid, which are important for our body and brain development. Fish also contains Vitamin D, Vitamin B2, minerals and potassium.
There are different methods of consuming fish. One of the methods is by frying it. In India, fish is marinated with spices and kept aside for some time and then deep or shallow fried or steamed.
Today I am posting Telangana Chepa Vepudu or Telangana Fish Fry. In this recipe fish is marinated in spicy masala and refrigerated for 2-3 hours and then fried in a frying pan or deep fried in a kadhai. In this recipe I used frying pan for frying the marinated fish.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Telangana Chepa Vepudu which is a delicious and healthy dish.
Fish ½ kg
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Red chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam masala powder ½ tsp (optional)
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
Wheat flour/corn flour 1 tsp
Curry leaves 4 strands
Green chillies (slit) 6
Salt to taste
Oil 5 tsp
Procedure for preparing Telangana Chepa Vepudu:
- Wash and clean the fish. Rub the fish with salt and wash it thoroughly.
- Make 2-3 slits on the fish on both the sides so that fish is marinated well. This step is optional depending upon the size of the fish.
- In a bowl mix red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, salt, ginger –garlic paste, wheat flour or corn flour and garam masala powder (optional). Adding corn flour or wheat flour makes the fish fry crispy.
- Add the fish and coat each fish with the spicy masala.
- Refrigerate the marinated fish for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the marinated fish in the pan and fry on medium flame. After 4-5 minutes flip it and fry for 4-5 minutes. When the fish is almost done add curry leaves and green chillies in the pan and fry it. It adds flavour to the fish.
- Drain the fried fish on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Garnish the fired fish with fried curry leaves and fried green chillies. Serve hot with lemon wedges and onion slices.
Telangana Chepa Vepudu goes well with rice and sambar or any vegetable pulusu.
- Adjust the spices level according to your preference