Chicken Do Pyaaza is a very popular North Indian dish. In this recipe we use onions in two varieties. One is we finely chop the onions into small pieces and the other is we fry onions and add to the chicken curry.
It is a delicious chicken curry which is cooked with more onions in thick tomato gravy with some spices.
Let’s go thru the procedure of preparing Chicken Do Pyaaza:
Chicken 1 kg
Onions (for frying) 4
Ginger (finely chopped) 1” piece
Oil 2 tbsp
Bay leaves 2
Dry red chilies 4
Onions (finely chopped) 2
Green chilies (slit) 10
Garlic (crushed) 10
Red chili powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Jeera/cumin powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Water 1 cup
- Grind cardamom, cloves, dry red chili and pepper into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the 3 long sliced onions and fry it. Keep it aside.
- In the same oil add bay leaves and fry it. Now add the ground coarse powder to it and fry for 1 – 2 minutes on low flame. You will get a nice aroma.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies, garlic, ginger and fry for 3 – 4 minutes or till the onions turn brownish in color.
- In a small bowl add red chili powder, coriander powder and jeera powder with little water and make a paste then add to the onion gravy and cook for 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chopped tomato and mix well and cook on high flame. Once it starts bubbling reduce the flame to low and cook for 3 minutes. Keep stirring occassionally.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chicken pieces and stir well. Cook on high flame till it boils. Then reduce the flame to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add fried onions and mix well and cook till the chicken is done.
Delicious Chicken Do Pyaaza is ready.
Do refer for more Chicken recipes: