Poori Payasam is prepared during festivals and important occasions. Poori Payasam is a delicious payasam recipe. It is prepared with pooris, milk and sugar. Pooris are deep fried in ghee which gives a good taste and aroma. Then it is crushed and added to boiled milk with sugar and cooked for 5 minutes on low to medium flame.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Poori Payasam:
For preparing Poori:
Maida/ All-purpose flour 1 cup
Rice powder ½ cup
Ghee 2 tsp
Water for kneading
Ghee for deep frying
For preparing Payasam:
Milk 1 lit
Sugar 1 cup
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Cashew nuts 10
Ghee for frying dry fruits 2 tsp
Procedure for preparing Poori Payasam:
- In a bowl add maida, rice powder, 2 tsp of ghee and enough water and make a soft dough. Allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, make small balls out of the dough and with the help of roller pin make round shaped pooris. Prick the rolled pooris with fork so that it will not bubble up.
- Meanwhile heat ghee for deep frying in a pan. Once the ghee is hot reduce the flame too low to medium and slowly drop the rolled poori into the hot ghee. Deep fry pooris on both the sides till it turns crispy and golden brown in color.
- Transfer the pooris to a plate. Allow it to cool. Crush the poori slightly do not make it into fine power.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan add the cashew nuts and fry till it becomes golden brown in color and remove it on a small bowl.
- Now add raisins to the hot ghee and fry still the raisins bubbles. Take it into a small bowl.
- In another vessel add milk and sugar and boil it. Once the milk is boiled add the crushed pooris into the milk and mix well. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Put off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder and cashew nuts and raisins with ghee into the poori payasam.
Yummy! Poori Payasam is ready. It can be served hot or cold.
- U can use soji/ rava instead of rice powder.
- Once the poori payasam cools down it turns thick as the poori absorbs the milk. So you can add more milk and once again boil it before serving.
Do refer for more Payasam recipes: