Gothambu Payasam is one of the special payasam recipes that is prepared for Kerala Sadhya. It is prepared for Vishu and Onam Sadhya and important occasions.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Gothambu Payasam:
Gothambu rava/ Broken wheat ½ cup
Jaggery 1 ½ cup
Thick coconut milk ½ cup
Thin coconut milk 1 cup
Cardamom powder ¼ tsp
Dry ginger powder ¼ tsp
Cumin powder ¼ tsp
Coconut pieces 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts 10
Ghee 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Gothambu Payasam:
- Melt jaggery with ¾ cup of water and strain it for any impurities.
- In a pressure cooker add 1 tbsp of ghee and fry the gothambu rava for 2 minutes and add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Put off the flame.
- When the pressure settles down open the pressure cooker lid and now add the jaggery syrup and mix well and cook on medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add thin coconut milk and mix well and allow it to boil. Keep stirring continuously.
- Now add thick coconut milk and mix well. Keep stirring continuously and just allow it to boil, immediately put off the flame.
- Add cumin powder, dry ginger powder and cardamom powder and mix well.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp of ghee add coconut pieces and fry till it is golden brown in color. Keep it aside. In same hot ghee add cashew nuts and raisins and fry it.
- Add to the payasam fried coconut pieces, cashew nuts and raisins with ghee.
Delicious Gothumbu Payasam is ready. Serve it hot or cold.
- Do not boil the thick coconut milk as boiling will curdle the payasam.
- You can increase the amount of jaggery according to preference.
Do refer for more Payasam recipes: